TEACHER: Ken Hicks
SCRIPTURES: Galatians 3:26-4:7
BOTTOM LINE: Family Makes a Difference! And God CHOSE to Adopt Us into His Family!
QUESTION: Are you willing to be adopted into God’s Family and not only recieve the some of that blessing while experiencing the Abundant Life In-Christ … but one day as an Heir, experience the fullness of God’s Promise?
Families have changed a lot over the years … and what’s awesome is you can see many of those changes in the television shows that sort of portray life right?
Back in the 50’s … it was:
- The Cleavers from Leave it to Beaver
- The Anderson’s from Father Knows Best
- The Nelson’s from Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
And some of you are like … I’ve never heard of any of those … you should check ‘em out online, because there were people that did actually experience family life back in the day … and it was special.
Nowadays … there are many people who’s Family Life looks more like:
- Ozzie from The Osborne’s than Ozzie and Harriet
- … which is a show that shows the life of Ozzie Osborne and his wife and 2 kids … and talk about dysfunctional … WOW!
But the reality is … there is a HUGE number of people today [and back in the day too, and even in Biblical Times, maybe we just didn’t have the media to see it all or try to glamorize it] … but there are many, many folks growing up in dysfunctional homes.
But even in that, for most of us [there are some exceptions] … even if we had our own share of dysfunction, there were most likely still some positive aspects of Family Life. Being a part of a Family means something, even if it’s a dysfunctional one.
- We are Family by FAITH. (3:26-27)
- We are Family without DISTINCTION. (3:28)
- We are Family by ADOPTION and HEIRS according to the PROMISE. (3:29)And then I love what Paul does in these 1st 7 verses of chapter 4 here … where he sort of outlines the various Stages of Childhood in the Family …
- The Child as a MINOR. (4:1-3)
- The Child as an ADULT. (4:4-6)
- The Child as an HEIR. (4:7)
I have truly been blessed thru my Family experience! My mom and dad are some of our best friends! My brother and his wife … and their boys … are a part of our fellowship here, and so special in our lives. Our daughters are all a part of our church, and we get to spend time w/ all of them regularly … the blessing of earthly Family has been incredible for me personally …
… but even that … that pales in comparison to the blessing of being in God’s Family doesn’t it? For God to have CHOSEN me … my mom and dad were stuck w/ me. But He CHOSE me! He chose to adopt me into His Family, and not just blood family that will one day end on earth, but eternal family … and I am an Heir to be w/ Him.
Have you been adopted into God’s Family?