TEACHER: Ken Hicks
SCRIPTURES: Galatians 4:12-20
BOTTOM LINE: A Holy Friend is someone who challenges the sins that my friends have grown to love; affirms the gifts they’re afraid to claim; and helps them dream the dreams they would otherwise never dream.
QUESTION: What kind of Friendships have we experienced? What kind of Friend are we?
DOWNLOAD: Everybody wants FRIENDS don’t they? I mean, I’m sure there actually are some folks that don’t want FRIENDS. What they really want is to have some people who will tell them what they want to hear.
And some folks … they really only looking for some people who bring something to the table so to speak, and so they get something out of the relationship.
A Holy Friend is someone who challenges the sins I have grown to love; affirms the gifts I’m afraid to claim; and helps me dream the dreams I would otherwise never dream.
And all throughout the book we’ve seen Paul writing about several areas of Doctrine to the Galatians … who had begun to sort of turn away from the Grace of God being sufficient …
- Paul talked about how the Crucifixion of Jesus that we celebrated earlier was enough.
- He talked about how we experience Salvation thru FAITH …
- He talked about how the Law wasn’t intended to be a part of our Growth process … but The Law was intended to show us our need for Jesus …
- He talked about how we Grow In-Christ thru the same FAITH and GRACE that we experienced Salvation.
- And last week, we saw him address what it means to be Family … and to be Sons and Daughters of God … and how we are all God’s Creation … but not all God’s Children …
And so up until now, Paul had been dialing into some general things that were really important … but still more global and stuff for everyone. But here in chapter 4 … Paul begins to get much more personal … his relationship w/ the Galatians was truly special … and we might say, Paul was a true friend to them.
But are those really FRIENDS? To me … FRIENDS are:
- people who are going to be there in the Good Times and be there in the Not So Good Times …
- they’ll seek to make us better by being honest with us … in love of course … but honest
- they’ll challenge us when we’re wrong
- they’ll support us when they’re right … even if everyone else think we’re wrong.
- A Christian Friend will seek to Ease the RESTORING of RELATIONSHIPS. (4:12-14)
- A Christian Friend Reminds Others WHO THEY ARE In-Christ. (4:15)
- A Christian Friend Will Speak THE TRUTH. (4:16)
- A Christian Friend Will Not Speak To USE YOU. (4:17-18)
- A Christian Friend Will See You as FAMILY. (4:19-20)
I’ve really been challenged this week to earnestly try to live this passage of God’s Word out in my life … God … allow me to be this kind of friend.
Allow me to be a Holy Friend … someone who challenges the sins that my friends have grown to love; affirms the gifts they’re afraid to claim; and helps them dream the dreams they would otherwise never dream.
Help me be the kind of friend who:
- A Christian Friend will seek to Ease the RESTORING of RELATIONSHIPS.
- A Christian Friend Reminds Others WHO THEY ARE In-Christ.
- A Christian Friend Will Speak THE TRUTH.
- A Christian Friend Will Not Speak To USE YOU.
- A Christian Friend Will See You as FAMILY.