TEACHER: Ken Hicks
SCRIPTURES: Romans 8:31-34
BOTTOM LINE: God is FOR us! He’s not withholding Good; He’s there to Help us; and He’s ready at a moment’s notice when we call upon Him.
QUESTION: Who’s on TEAM Devil? We’re on God’s Team, so who’s on the Other Team?
Now, how many of you have had a time in your life where you had a friend in whom you had placed a great deal of TRUST? The relationship was special, and then somehow, out of nowhere … they let you down?
- maybe they betrayed your confidence and shared something they shouldn’t?
- maybe they used something about you for their own advantage?
Bottom line, we have this incredibly broken heart! In fact, I’m convinced this sort of hurt might be the most damaging hurt in our lives!
Romans 8:31 … “31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? IF God is for us, who can be against us?
And I underlined that word IF there … because I’ve wondered before why wrote it that way. I mean is he writing as if there’s a question there? Or is he writing to make a statement, that based on all we know of God’s Word, and God’s Presence … God IS for us!!!!!
And the more I read, and the more I study, and listen to theologians who have spent their entire lives diving into this book … the more I’m in complete belief that Paul is making a STATEMENT here! There is a question. But the question isn’t IF God is for us … but given that … who’s on the other side? Who’s our opponent?
this year, I’m coaching Varsity Boys basketball at San Antonio Christian School …
And one of the things we do in the Sports World is we Prepare for Battle! Engaging Mentally, Physically, Emotionally. And at SACS, we’re even really specific about engaging Spiritually.
And part of that preparation includes watching some Tape, and learning about the tendencies of our opponent:
- what do they have
- what are they good at
- player by player …
… and I’m not sure it’s much different for us! We’re on God’s Team! He is FOR US! He chose us, so who’s on the other side?
- they’re over there trying to attack us w/ all their might
- and they’re over there trying to get me to doubt the Truth’s that I know and read and experience from God’s Word
- and they’re over there doing everything in their power to discourage me … and defeat me … and make me start to make me feel like maybe I can NEVER get out of this never-ending circle
… and Paul says, Since God is FOR us … who can be against us? And the answer to that … is a lot of things:
- SPIRITUAL ENEMIES
- DAILY LIFE EXPERIENCES
- US … we can be against ourselves
And so here’s the deal … ALL these things might be stacked up against us … but they are no match for God!
And what gets me sometimes …
- … I’m not in control, and honestly, I don’t like it!
- And when I’m not in control, FEAR … and then I start trying to get control back … instead of leaning into complete Trust and the Presence of God in my life!
Let me close w/ a few Truth’s that I think can allow us to walk out today in complete REST & CONFIDENCE … and these are loaded onto the Blog page already so you can refer back to them too …
- God’s Not Withholding GOOD from us!
- God Is Strong, Steady & Reliable in the SMALL Stuff and the LARGE stuff in our Lives
- God Is Ready to HELP US When We Call Upon Him!
Jesus is the Chief Shepherd. He’s the pastor that will NEVER let us down … He will NEVER discourage us … He will NEVER be overwhelmed … He’s like the father who cuddles his children.
So when we’re at WAR, and Satan is pulling out all the stops, we can REST right here: our GOD IS FOR US. And that same God says:
Matthew 11:28-29 … “28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”