TEACHER: Ken Hicks
SCRIPTURES: Daniel 2:1-30
BOTTOM LINE: The Royal Rumble: The Wrestling Match between our Flesh and our Faith!
QUESTION: When we are backed into a corner, do we lean into our solution, or seek to understand God’s Presence?
In the 1st chapter, Daniel establishes his credentials as a young man whom God could trust. Daniel was unwilling to compromise his Hebrew faith. We pick up the story here when the 3 years of training have passed, and Daniel is now employed in a low position of Nebuchadnezzar’s court.
King Nebuchadnezzar had not had a personal encounter w/ the God of Israel at this point, and when we aren’t walking in a real, personal way w/ God. Truth is, we’re left to our own interpretation or superstitions even right?
in chapter 2, we find Daniel and the guys On the Job so to speak. Nebuchadnezzar was like most Kings reigned w/ absolute Power. Most of the time, if you knew what was good for you, you’d tell him anything he wanted to hear to make him happy.
And as often happens, Nebuchadnezzar started to believe them too. This led to a really small circle of people that he felt like he could trust. Anyone who was in that circle was rewarded well … and if you weren’t in that circle, you didn’t last long. The higher up the ladder you went, the more risk there was for both of you.
- Dictators will often battle the Distress that comes w/ Depending on US.
- Daniel models this incredible 1st step in engagement … before we come up w/ our plan and our strategy … let’s fall on our knees together in Prayer!
- God Answers his Prayers.
- Daniel Engages in Action.
How different would it be if we didn’t care who got the Credit?
We can learn so much from Daniel here … not only his Tact … but Daniel’s decisiveness … his prayerfulness … his thankfulness … and his humility & trust in God in times of crisis.
- Dictators will often battle the Distress that comes w/ Depending on US. So when we are operating from the Lens of It’s got to be my way. Maybe we wouldn’t call ourselves a Dictator, but when we operate that way, distress is coming eventually.
- Daniel models this incredible 1st step in engagement … before we come up w/ our plan … and our strategy … let’s fall on our knees together in Prayer! Too often for us, Prayer and Leaning into God is our Last Resort instead of our First Step of Action.
- God Answers his Prayers … ALWAYS. I’ll admit, He may not always answer them as we would like. He may choose not to give us all the answers like He did for Daniel here. But He will answer our Prayers! And He promises to never leave us or forsake us … so it’s in His Presence and in our time of Praying together as God’s Family that we find Rest and Peace in the midst of the chaos.
- The LAST step is action! And once we hear God’s voice … let’s move! Let’s not be paralyzed by details … or unknowns … or fears … when God shares with us, let’s take a confident step of Faith.