TEACHER: Ken Hicks
SCRIPTURES: Luke 12:49-53
BOTTOM LINE: The Presence of Jesus will bring Divison!
QUESTION: Are we using God as a means to somewhere else … or just resting In-Him?
Jesus is going to divide some families and some of us have experienced that.
Why? Because the claims of Jesus are absolute … and we can’t be ambivalent about Jesus!
So we read this, and those that were there heard Jesus say this:
- I came NOT to bring peace, but division?
- Jesus will end up separating people within a household.
- And … unless we love Him more than our own family, we can’t be His Disciple?
That’s like the Tri-Factor of REALLY difficult things Jesus said here!
I want to sort of do 4 things quickly as we wrap up today:
- Deal w/ a widely-held Myth.
- Expose a staggering Claim.
- Reveal an incredible Motivation.
- Ask a few really Practical Questions.
- THE MYTH … Christianity is More Divisive than Other View Points.
- THE CLAIM … Jesus is actually God! The object of our Faith!
- THE MOTIVATION … Jesus went ALL-IN First!
I want to close quickly w/ 4 Practical Questions …
We know …
- The Myth – Christianity isn’t any more divisive than other Religions.
- The Claim – Jesus is God in Flesh … and He knows when He calls us to Him, He’s calling us to God too.
- The Motivation – we not only see the ultimate sacrifice made by Jesus … and then from other’s around us too …
And so how does that translate in our daily living? Here’s 4 questions to consider:
ONE … Have I OWNED Jesus in all my current relationships?
TWO … Am I obeying God w/ what’s in front of me right now?
THREE … Do I Have Any CONDITIONS for Following Jesus?
FOUR … Where I Am Causing Division, Am I Doing It Like Jesus?