TEACHER: Ken Hicks
SCRIPTURES: Exodus 20:8-11
BOTTOM LINE: Rest is not a suggestion for God’s Best … it’s a Commandment!
QUESTION: Are we intentionally engaging in a weekly time of Rest, Renewal, Recharge and Re-Focus in our journey In-Christ and the things that REALLY matter?
Exodus 20:8-11… “8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore, the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.”
ONE … 3 Major Challenges:
- This is the Only Commandment NOT Repeated in the New Testament!
- The Church has Historically Worshiped on Sunday.
- We Now Face the Fading Tradition of Sunday as a Holyor Sacred Day.
TWO … 3 Conflicting Viewpoints:
- The 7thDay Adventist View
- The Christian Sabbath View Galatians 4:9-10 …“But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces]? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? 10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years!”
- The Abiding Principle View – Genesis 2:1-3… “Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.”
What Do We Do TODAY to Remember the Sabbath?
- Get Re-Charged on Sunday!
- CELEBRATE the Resurrection of Jesus together each week w/ other Believers!
- Focus on your family!
- Serve Someone Together!