SCRIPTURES: Acts 2:1-13
BOTTOM LINE: The Holy Spirit empowers us to overcome the Obstacles in our lives so that we might make the Gospel story known.
QUESTION: Is speaking in tongues ok? What does the Bible Say? How does it work? Who can speak in tongues? etc….
DOWNLOAD: 4 Things about the MISSION of God:
1. Jesus’ MISSION is not to take us from the world … but to join us in the world by the Presence of the Holy Spirit.
2. Jesus’ MISSION does not send us to a Holy place [a temple or Mecca] … but instead Jesus sends the Holy Spirit to make us a Holy Place … individually and corporately as God’s people.
3. Jesus’ MISSION requires that the Holy Spirit sometimes works loudly and publicly … but at other times, quietly and privately. Here, the Holy Spirit’s going to work loudly and publicly; but he’s not limited to working this way.
4. Jesus’ MISSION requires that you and I as individuals … and us collectively together as the Body of Christ … be filled w/ the Holy Spirit. We can’t be who Jesus has created us to be … and we can’t experience what Jesus created us to experience unless we’re filled by the power and the presence of the Holy Spirit.
There are 2 Biblical uses for the Gift of Tongues or Languages in the Bible:
Use #1: A Private, Unknown Heavenly Language for Prayer
Use #2: A Public, Known Earthly Language for Evangelism
APPLICATION: 3 Common Quesitons about the Gift of Tongues or Languages
1. CAN EVERY CHRISTIAN HAVE THE GIFT OF TONGUES?
2. IS THE GIFT OF TONGUES SOMETHING TO BE USED TODAY IN OUR CULTURE?
3. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PRIVATE USE OF TONGUES GOES PUBLIC?