TEACHER: Ken Hicks
SCRIPTURES: Matthew 7:24-27; Luke 6:47-49
BOTTOM LINE: Truth is … we are building today! Hearing and Reading Jesus’ Words just aren’t enough. We have to experience them … to take a step of faith … to put His Words into Motion in our lives … and w/ every decision we make, we are laying a FOUNDATION.
QUESTION: Are we hearing Jesus’ Words as we build? Are we following Jesus’ Words as we build?
DOWNLOAD: We’re launching into a Brand New Series out of the Life of JESUS actually between now and Easter … we’re going to dive into:
- The Parables of Jesus
- The Teachings of Jesus
- The Prayers of Jesus
This first section will look at The Parables of Jesus. One of the incredible things about this collection of 66 different letters, that God has used to create our Bible, is the number of different ways God chose to speak to us.
- Narrative Literature
A Parable is a story designed to teach us a lesson through comparison. In other words, when we hear the story, we can relate it to our own life.
ILLUSTRATION: The P’s of Parables …
- The PASSAGE – what’s the passage? Is it mentioned some other place in the Bible, or just this 1? If so, which one do we want to use as the MAIN point of reference?
- The PARAMETERS – these are often written in a historical context … Jesus uses culture, historical events, etc… We just need to understand all we can about the culture.
- The PROBLEM – What is the problem that prompted the Parable? Jesus was often dealing w/ a Question or an Attitude … sometimes BOTH. Sometimes the question was even un-spoken, remember, He could read their minds.
- The PROGRESSION – What is the flow? Does it center around Characters (biographical), the sequence of events (chronological), a logical argument, etc…?
- The PRESENTATION – Analyze and organize the Outline the events of the story so I can study according to the Progression I choose.
- The POINT – What’ the central Truth or Point? And there’s often a POINT for every CHARACTER in the Parable.
- The PROGRAM of God – how does this relate to the Kingdom of God?
- The PARTICULARS – Are there any additional details that need to be understood? How do they relate to the Central Truth?
- The PRINCIPLES – How do we APPLY this to our life?
Parables do an incredible job of reminding us that Jesus as fully acquainted w/ Human Life … He was knowledgeable about things like Farming … Sowing Seeds … Reaping a Harvest.
He understood the work day for the Farmer … the Fisherman … the Builder … the Merchant … and yet He also could relate w/ ease among the managers of estates … the minsters of finance at the Royal Courts … the Judge in the court of Law … the Pharisees … the Tax collectors … you name it.
Jesus had just finished giving the infamous Sermon on the Mount, and He desperately wanted the crowd to go and do what He had just taught them, because He wanted to implement His Kingdom of Righteousness on the earth. So He tells this story for His Conclusion:
Matthew 7:24-27 … “24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
The people that Jesus was talking to often witnessed sudden downpours during the rainy season in ancient Palestine. It was incredible. The creek bed could be completely dry, and in a matter of moments, it could turn into a violent stream.
And what Jesus was trying to communicate here was this … when you combine these torrential rains and raging streams, w/ a house that’s built w/ mediocre materials [they often used some dried mud as materials] … w/o the proper research and footings and foundation … like the Sandy Base found in many places.
Jesus is trying to help them see that when we do that … DISASTER is coming … it’s just a matter of time!
Jesus is pleading w/ us to be extremely careful about the Architect we allow to draw up a set of plans for our HOUSE … because 1 wrong decision … and the FOUNDATION is compromised … and they will begin to crack … and move … and sink … when the pressure and forces of life begin to mount.